Thursday, January 11, 2007
Nix, Garth: Sabriel
ISBN: 0064471837

From the Publisher:

Since childhood, Sabriel has lived outside the walls of the Old Kingdom, away from the power of Free Magic, and away from the Dead who refuse to stay dead. But now her father, the Mage Abhorson, is missing, and Sabriel must cross into that world to find him. With Mogget, whose feline form hides a powerful, perhaps malevolent spirit, and Touchstone, a young Charter Mage, Sabriel travels deep into the Old Kingdom. There she confronts an evil that threatens much more than her life and comes face to face with her own hidden destiny.


Sabriel is a book that I was attracted to for its cover, but not one that I actually picked up and bought. It wasn't until it was leant to me that I actually sat down and read it. I'm quite glad that I did. While it's a book aimed at younger readers (12 - 15, I would think), it carries quite well over to an adult audience.

The book isn't nearly as crunchy or as mature as I am used to reading, but this is mostly due to it being intended for younger readers. That said, I really enjoyed it. I like Mr. Nix's blend of modern or turn of the century technology with typical fantasy motifs. I especially liked his creativity with the plane she flies, with her bells that banish the dead, and with the use of running water.

I think my favourite character was the talking cat. While that might be because I'm partial to cats and I just really wish that mine would talk, I do think that he's an excellent character, and an asset, not a distraction, to the story.

I thought that the tale was cleverly put together, carried and ended. It was well writen from start to finish, and ended well. In fact, I'm going to pick up Lireal next, instead of taking a break between the books! This book is good for all audiences, and while might scare younger children, is still appropriate for advanced readers in the 1o - 12 year range.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home