Thursday, March 29, 2007
Davidson, MaryJanice: Undead and Unreturnable
ISBN: 0425210812

From the Publisher:
Queen of the Vampires Betsy Taylor is planning the perfect wedding to drop-dead gorgeous vamp Eric Sinclair. But in this fourth novel of Davidson's series, Betsy is plagued by ghosts, who demand her help in rectifying their past mistakes, and a serial killer on the loose.

Unfortunately, this book was very sadly disappointing. It was quippy. It was amusing. It was really kind of boring.

I think that Ms. Davidson actually had a lot going on for her. She set up this scenario where she could have done so much – a serial killer with a penchant for tall blonds, much like Betsy. But what do we read about? Her and Eric fighting and making up and fighting the whole time. Then, in the last scene, it’s like Ms. Davidson suddenly remembered that she had to close up this serial killer thread. Ugh.

I like fluffy books without a lot of substance. I’m totally ok with that. Sadly, I’m even ok with gratuitous sex (which? Were all cut scenes. How boring!)… but I’m not ok with these books that are more about the characters than the plot. Maybe I’m being a little hard on her here, but I really felt like the author could have done so much more with this plot. I mean, if she had taken out the serial killer, I don’t think much in the book would have changed.

I wouldn’t tell you not to read this book, unless you had three weeks to live. Then I’d tell you that you’re better off doing something else. If you do read it, make sure to pick it up either heavily discounted, at the library, or second hand. In my opinion, it’s certainly not worth the $10 you’ll pay at the bookstore. Of course – it’s a paranormal romance, so those under 18 need not bother.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home