Thursday, May 31, 2007
Weiner, Jennifer: In Her Shoes
ISBN: 0743418204

From the Publisher

Meet Rose Feller, a thirty-year-old high-powered attorney with a secret passion for romance novels. She has an exercise regime she's going to start next week, and she dreams of a man who will slide off her glasses, gaze into her eyes, and tell her she's beautiful. She also dreams of getting her fantastically screwed-up, semi-employed little sister to straighten up and fly right.

Meet Rose's sister, Maggie. Twenty-eight years old and drop-dead gorgeous. Although her big-screen stardom hasn't progressed past her left hip's appearance in a Will Smith video, Maggie dreams of fame and fortune -- and of getting her big sister on a skin-care regimen.

These two women, who claim to have nothing in common but a childhood tragedy, DNA, and the same size feet, are about to learn that they're more alike than they'd ever imagined. Along the way, they'll encounter a diverse cast of characters -- from a stepmother who's into recreational Botox to a disdainful pug with no name. They'll borrow shoes and clothes and boyfriends, and eventually make peace with their most intimate enemies -- each other.


Hmm... nothing like a publishers blurb to give away a lot of the book. ::sigh:: Anyway.

I picked this one up from the library mainly because it was written by Jennifer Weiner. I'm not sure that I would have, otherwise. Sadly, I didn't connect with this one as well as her other works. Maybe I didn't like the characters, or that she didn't give as strong of a voice to her characters, I don't know. It certainly wasn't bad to read, it just wasn't as good.

Truthfully, I liked Simon, and I liked one of Ella's friends. I couldn't get my head around Cameron Diaz playing Maggie in the movie (I haven't seen it, but it just didn't seem to jive with me), and I kept bringing up her face. I mean, I'm sure she did a great job of the part, but in my head... ::shrugs:: I don't know.

This is a great book to borrow from the library, if you're looking for a book about sisters. I'm not sure that I would buy it, though.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home