Monday, April 16, 2007
Rowen, Michelle: Bitten & Smitten

ISBN: 0446617008


From the Publisher:
In Rowen's death-defyingly funny debut--a cross between "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Sex in the City"--Sarah Dearly goes on a blind date . . . with a vampire. Original.


Eh. This book was mediocre at best. It had some amusing and funny parts, some pretty good action sequences (fight scenes, that is), and some decent characters, but it didn't leave me with a "wow that was great" feeling.

The basic premise is this: Sarah goes on a blind date that her friend Amy sets her up with. Her date ends up being a vampire and sires her without her permission, then manages to get killed by vampire hunters, leaving her to defend herself. She does so, with the assistance of an old vamp named Thierry (how ever you say that!). He adopts her, and tries to help her adjust to her new life. She has lots of bumps and hiccups during the next week, but manages to get through it, culminating in one large fight scene at the end of the book.

I thought that there were a lot of things that the author could have made more amusing. Sarah's cousin's wedding could have been funnier (and longer), she could have written more about the vamp club that Thierry ran, and possibly, less about her silly clothing. I understand that lots of women who read these books enjoy that, but... pick one. I mean, she went on about designer shoes, and designer dresses, and other things. I guess I prefer my protagonists to have one thing that they love - be it makeup, shoes, jeans, etc. rather then them running the whole gambit. The only person that I can think of who spends more time in her books talking about clothes is Laurell K. Hamilton, and that comparison is in no way a compliment.

I guess I just wasn't all that impressed. If I find her other books at the library I may or may not take them out. I'm also not sure that I would really recommend this book to anyone - just not that interesting.

Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home