Sunday, June 24, 2007
Jennifer Scales and the Ancient Furnace by MaryJanice Davidson and Anthony Alongi
ISBN: 0441014747

Book Description:
She knew that growing up would mean changing. But Jennifer wasn't prepared for the blue scales or the claws, since no one had told her that she came from a bloodline of weredragons. Her greatest challenge? Protecting herself from her family's ancient enemies and preparing herself for fierce battles. And that's a lot to expect of a girl just coming into her own.


While seeing MaryJanice Davidson on the billing for this book didn't excite me (I was quite certain that this character would merely be a younger Betsy), I managed to pick it up and read it anyway... especially seeing as how it was pretty short, young adult, and frankly? I had just read at least two birthing books - I needed a change of pace.

I was actually pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure how the co-authoring between this husband-wife team went, as the book doesn't reek of Davidson's other writings (I find that most of her female characters come off the same). So, whether it was mostly written by Alongi, with Davidson merely offer advice in tone and perspective, I don't know. Regardless, this pairing certainly worked, and I definitely hope that it continues for further books.

This is a very light-hearted and surprising look at the teen life of a were-dragon. Yes, were-dragon. No, we don't see many of those in literature, so it's kind of refreshing. There are also were-spiders, which is also kind of cool (and slightly scary). It was a great change of pace from the "typical" fantasy-type young adult books, so I have to say that it's definitely unique.

This book entertained me through the whole thing. There were a few spots that I thought were really different and odd - which was great. I love a good plot twist, and have to say that these two managed a couple of plot twists that I just did not see coming - so excellent job on them!

Jennifer Scales and the Ancient Furnace is a great book for all teens within the 14 + age bracket. There wasn't much for violence or scary scenes, although some parts might frighten younger readers. While the book doesn't really go into puberty or boy-girl relationships, there are some implied instances that may cause more protective parents to pre-read. Just a thought.

Labels: , ,



1 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

I put this book on hold at my library, based on your review (and my recent introduction to the "Undead" series) - I'm looking forward to reading it! Thanks for the review.

Post a Comment

<< Home