Monday, February 19, 2007
Williams, Tad: The Dragonbone Chair
ISBN: 0886773849

From the Publisher:

The Dragonbone Chair is the story of Simon, a young kitchen boy and magician's apprentice whose dreams of great deeds and heroic wars come all too shockingly true when his world is torn apart by a terrifying civil war fueled by ancient hatreds, immortal enemies, and the dark powers of sorcery.


This was a pretty heavy book to come into after reading a Rachel Caine book! I was sad because it totally blew my 100 pages a day record for the beginning of the year out of the water. It was a good book, and interesting, but very dense, and the printing is pretty small.

Measuring in at over 700 pages, The Dragonbone Chair is no weekend reading. It definitely took a bit of time, and a lot of desire to read it. Maybe the story just didn't grab me like other books too. It's possible that I didn't relate to the main character, so while it was interesting, I wasn't dying to know more. I think I felt that the first quarter of the book where Simon runs around chasing cats and working in the kitchen were kind of boring. Or maybe I just thought that Mr. Williams' very complex character building was a waste of my time - I don't know.

All in all, it's not a bad book. Don't pick it up thinking that you'll blow through it really quickly... unless you really love it, and then you might. It definitely has some great things about it - warring brothers, elves (Sithi), trolls, giants, a young boy who becomes a man on a journey of much trying and problems.

It's very likely that I will eventually feel similar to how I did with George RR Martin's A Song of Ice And Fire series. The first book was kind of boring, but the person who recommended it to me loved it with such passion that I felt that I had to read it. The second book was better, and by the third book, I was so hooked that I bought the fourth the day it came out in hardcover, and stood in line for a few hours to have them all signed! So, I have hope for the rest of this series (well, trilogy in four parts, really). While I won't be picking up The Stone of Farewell right away, it's definitely still be in my To Be Read pile, and I will get to it (along with Green Angel Tower, Parts 1 &2) eventually.

I would recommend this book to all people who love high fantasty in all it's glory. There isn't an excessive amount of graphic violence in this book, and no sex or swearing at all. I would imagine that anyone who can plow through it should read it - meaning that there's no age that I would deem this book inappropriate for, save young children who might be frightened by some of the dream sequences.


7 Comments:

Blogger Hanna said...

it gets more disturbing and unchild friendly as you go...I forgot that the first book starts so slow. Mr. Williams has a tendancy to do that...b

Blogger Kait said...

So, I assume that you're going to tell me that it gets better and to keep reading, yes? Well, fine then, I will just do that. But first I have to read some fun stuff! :)

Blogger chrisd said...

So is this young adult or not? let me know

Blogger Kait said...

Chrisd - I think that the fist book definitely could be, but I wouldn't have a 12 year old try to read it - I think they would get bored. From what Hanna says, it seems to get darker as time goes on. Hanna? Any thoughts?

I think it probably depends on the maturity and age of the reader :)

Blogger Hanna said...

I say no to it being YA. I can't remember all the details...but I was scared/grossed out...and me, not a young adult. Of course you think all sorts of books are okay for YA that I don't....you're not giving my kids books

Blogger Kait said...

Ha ha ha - Usually when I think YA, I'm thinking older teen, not the 12-16 market that seem to pick up YA these days.

Blogger Kait said...

Now I'm paranoid - what books did I label as YA that you wouldn't let your kids read (besides this one)?

Post a Comment

<< Home